- Do a complete and honest assessment of all of your career skills, motivations, and capabilities. This is the best way to truly understand the kind of job you want.
- Once you do this, you can decide specifically what it is you want to do. Make sure your qualifications meet the job's requirements.
- Find out who the key players are at the organization you want to work and find out how to contact them.
- Consider an alternative path for your career. This can come in the form of temp jobs, internships, volunteering, or consulting.
- Build a large personal network. You can never have too many contacts. Most people will want to help you, but you have to reach out to them first.
- Speaking of networks, make sure you create quality social networking profiles for yourself.
- Make connections with recruiters who are specifically involved with nonprofit job searches.
- Prepare thoroughly for your job interviews. Make sure you have a list of questions you want to ask.
- Keep your other contacts in mind. Let them know if you run into a situation that might be helpful for them. This will make them more likely to help you.
- Thank everybody who helped you when you are done with your job search.
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Top 10 Job Hunting Tips
People make top 10 lists all the time. Whether it's the top 10 quarterbacks in the NFL, or the top 10 pizza restaurants in town, people just love to make lists. Did you ever consider making a top 10 list for job hunting tips? We at NPT Jobs did so, without further ado, here is our list of the top 10 best job hunting tips: