The main duties of the Major Gifts Officer is to plan and ensure the implementation of the cultivation, education, solicitation, recognition and retention of major gift prospects and to be primarily involved with major donors/donor prospects on a regular basis. Other responsibilities include:
- Build long-term relationships with donors and prospects, identifying, cultivating and stewarding their interests.
- Solicit gifts from major donors and prospects, both independently and working collaboratively with other solicitors.
- Schedule, manage and regularly attend donor meetings.
- Develop strategies for the cultivation and stewardship of individual major donors and prospects.
- Build, maintain and maximize institutional relationships with major-gift donors and prospects; deepening their engagement with St. Vincent de Paul/Father Joe’s Villages.
The successful candidate for this position will have significant fundraising experience, particularly in the area of major gifts. Here are some of the qualifications St. Vincent de Paul/Father Joe's Villages wants in an applicant:
- BA and eight years of professional experience in non-profit fundraising or external relations with experience in major gifts.
- Experience working with volunteers, volunteer leadership, and professional program staff.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation, and a keen interest in working as part of a collaborative team.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; excellent research skills; superior written and oral communication skills; and relevant computer skills.
- Ability to work both entrepreneurially and independently, and to function both as a leader and a partner within a team framework.