During Nonprofit Technology Network's (NTEN) recent Nonprofit Technology Conference, James Weinberg, founder and CEO of Commongood Careers, said that identifying the potential roadblocks to your career can help you plan alternate routes.
Here are some of the obstacles Weinberg said you are most likely to encounter:
- Planning. You need to identify your goals.
- Confidence. You know those goals you just made? Triple it, according to Weinberg. It’s still possible.
- Skills. You can acquire skills by education or learn by experience.
- Experience. This can be done on-the-job or outside of work.
- Family. Your job shouldn’t be your whole life. Strike a balance that works for you.
- Boss. Tell your boss if you don’t feel you are being cultivated as an employee. If that doesn’t work, try to find another job. It will be the boss’s loss in the long run.
- Money. Education is expensive.
- Networks. Look for quality and quantity. Networks will help you get where you need to be.
- Resolve. Try to keep advancing but stay flexible, according to Weinberg.
- Other. Analyze what you think is holding you back.