Networking is the key to improving your chances of landing a job, and there's no better place to do it then using social media. Using sites like Facebook and LinkedIn, you can quickly find contacts who can give you the inside track to your dream job. Sounds easy, right? Not exactly.
Before you go to your online contacts for help, make sure to follow these six social networking etiquette tips:
- Don't post just to post.
- Stay professional while you are networking. That means you should avoid abbreviations and inappropriate content.
- Keep an eye on your post count. You don't want come across as a spammer.
- Post different things across the many social media channels. Give people a reason to visit your individual pages.
- Keep your content fresh. No more than a month should go by without new updates.
- Follow-up with everyone who responds to your posts. This will show people that you care about what they have to say, and will go a long way toward building new connections.