When preparing to choose an outfit for your interview, you have to strike a delicate balance between casual and professional. You don't want to come in with shorts and t-shirt, but you also shouldn't overdress, as that can come off as desperate. Here are some general tips to keep in mind:
- Jeans are a no-no in any situation, even if it's a more casual work environment. Guys should always wear khakis of some kind, while girls should choose a long skirt or professional pants.
- Another tip for girls: Don't go overboard on the makeup. You can use some, just make sure you don't use so much that it becomes distracting.
- Interview attire isn't as conservative as it used to be, but that doesn't mean you should wear flip-flops or sneakers. Invest in a pair of low-cost dress shoes.
- Here's a rule of thumb for jewelry: If you can hear it while walking, you have too much. The most you should wear are earrings, necklace, and a ring. Anything else is taking it too far.
- Fashion isn't all about what you wear. Grooming is also important. Plan to get a hair cut a couple of days before your interview. Guys should plan to shave unless they already have a beard. In that case, make sure it is trimmed nicely.
Those are the basic guidelines for dressing up for your job interview. If you have any other tips, feel free to share them with us in the comments section.