That includes yourself.
Vicki Halsey, in her book "Brilliance By Design," wrote that bringing out the best in people has much to do with being a teacher, and further than teaching involved a dimension of self-awareness. Knowing who you are helps a lot when trying to know about and teach others.
Before you can even think about advancing your career as a nonprofit professional, Halsey recommended asking yourself the following questions at least once a year:
- Who am I?
- What is important to me?
- What are my gifts and strengths?
- What are some areas that need improvement?
- What inspires and motivates me?
- What are my goals/What do I want to achieve?
- What are barriers to my goals?
- What are my passions?
- What is my purpose?
- What energizes me?
- What do I need to sustain my passion, my purpose, my energy?
- What have I done recently that makes me happy?
- How could I do more of that?
- What has become clearer to me after answering that question?
- How do I best learn?